Saturday, August 27, 2005

Editorial Update from Dr. Kristen

Through their previous updates, Michael and Bonnie certainly have given us a full picture of their lives. My turn to give you a picture of ours.

Saturday morning 6 a.m, I wake up, brush my teeth, and turn on my laptop in bed, then shove it in front of Kristen's bleary-eyed face, hoping to get some medical editorial from her on Mike's recent post. I know I've got about a three minute window before she needs to get up and do twenty-three dictations from patients she saw yesterday. After that, if she's lucky, she'll go on a quick jog then head to the hospital at UCSF where she will be caring for -- you guessed it -- leukemia patients undergoing bone marrow transplant.

Now, she's no Dr. Phil (thank god), and her bedside manner, especially when she is waking up, is imperfect, but here's what she has to say upon reading Mike's latest post:

The good news is they don't see any leukemia. The fact that they don't see many bone marrow cells doesn't mean very much -- it's only day 21 which is pretty early for a cord blood transplant. (Gib's note: my research suggested day 28 is about the right time for this, but as Kristen said "Don't quote me on an exact date as I haven't reviewed the latest medical research.")

It's great that Bonnie has gotten to day 21 without a major infection. Skin rashes are annoying, but they're not serious. If her fever has gone away, that's good, too.



As for the projectile vomiting, Kristen thinks it's food poisoning, as it's not the flu and cold season. She wants to know what airline they took, and suggests no one fly it again.

By the time I manage to write this, Kristen has disappeared downstairs to the family room table where I can hear her monotone "This is Kristen Hege -- H - E - G - E -- patient 24987 Day 14 undergoing a bone marrow transplant. Patient is afebrile..."

Ooops, The monotone has stopped, and now Kristen is yelling, "How'd you like to make me some coffee!? How come you never make coffee?!" I suspect these questions are directed at me as my 7 and 9 year-old daughters are asleep and they've NEVER made coffee, which is about one or two times less than the number of times I've made coffee.

Gotta go -- off to Starbucks.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

gib, get the doc some coffee and then thank her for her translation.

best

Langley

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home