Monday, July 30, 2007

Sunday update on Bonnie from Cindy Lefkoff

Dear Gib,

It is Sunday, July 29, and I spoke with Bonnie this morning for an hour. She asked me to post this email on the blog so that people know what is going on. I know that when her Leukemia first returned at the end of May, she told Mike that she was afraid that this blog would end up chronicling her death. Of course, we all respect that wish, but at the same time she appreciates that everyone who cares for her so dearly wants to know what's going on. So here is what I know:

Bonnie's got a fungal lung infection infection which is a type of pneumonia. As you can imagine, this does not bode well, and it is also not unusual for someone in Bonnie's condition.

While this is horrible, Mike says that a fungal infection will not impede her white count from coming back. If the antifungal medicine can hold it at bay, and her immune system can kick in, her body may be able to fight this. This is a very big IF. (Gib's note: Bonnie is at Day 26 from beginning of chemo therapy and you typically expect white blood counts to return sometime between Day 21 and Day 30.)

No fever in several days now. This is a good thing. This may be the result of the super strong antifungal she's on.

They did a bronchoscopy and a CT scan Thursday afternoon, and they have not been able to figure out exactly what type of infection this is.

Bonnie's on and off of morphine & methodone (?!?!) (she's been on one or the other since Monday evening). She is in a great deal of pain right now from the pressure of the swelling in her lungs. I think that the painkillers are helping a bit, but as she said this morning, "These things make me so loopy, I sound like I'm drunk!" Still got her sense of humor.

Talking with her is quite tricky. She has moments of lucidity, and she has moments of pain, exhaustion and confusion. For the most part, I haven't talked to her in quite some time. Then, this morning, she called me and I couldn't get her off! I loved it, of course, but a lot of it I couldn't understand. Then, the Bonnie I know and love would start up again with detailed information of friends' names, travel schedules and job descriptions. She also went into detail as to the "family conference" she had with the girls yesterday. There is no question that she is fighting so hard, but that she is also realistic about the odds.

She has made it very clear that she does not want visitors at all. It's just too much for her. She's either in pain, out of it, asleep or holding out for a brief glimpse of the girls. She's also not taking any phone calls as I'm sure many of you have noticed. I just send text messages and emails now and then that say "I love you." Not sure it helps her, but in some weird way, it helps me. That said, I know that when she has these moments of clarity she loves to read these things. She has said that for the most part, it's just too painful to talk.

I hope that this helps all of you a little bit. At this point, I am praying for Bonnie to find some peace and not be in pain. I am not saying in any way that I am giving up hope, I am just saying that it tears me apart to know that my beloved Bonnie is suffering. Many of her relatives are on their way in to town right now, and Bonnie is looking forward to seeing all of them. She also spoke in detail today of her plans for their family trip later this summer. She wants to have "Camp Tonneson," and I can't wait to have that happen.

Much love to you all,

Cindy Lou Hoo
(aka Cindy Lefkoff)
Boulder, CO

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home