Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Eulogy by Allison Lipnick Ghajar (Cousin)

Presented by Allison on 8/11/07...

I have always felt very lucky to have Bonnie as my cousin. She was much more than a cousin to me. She was a wonderful friend. For me, she was also like an older sister.

Bonnie loved getting the details, was incredibly strong, and was an amazing mother. She was never shy when it came to sharing her opinions or asking questions, something the women in our family certainly have in common. She always wanted to know what was going on in my life, where I was traveling, how my job was going, and get an update on the contents of my closet.

Over the years I benefited from her guidance and direction. When it came to Bonnie, she always knew how she liked things done. While helping take care of Isabel & Devon during my visits after Bonnie got sick, sometimes I would ask her questions about how to do something or where to go, just to give her the chance to give me a few instructions -- because I knew that would make her feel better.

Ever since I was a little girl I looked up to Bonnie. She was my beautiful older cousin who I thought was so cool. My early memories of visiting her in Bethesda remind me of how much she liked to have fun. When Bonnie was home from Dartmouth and I was not much older than Isabel, I remember her taking me to Rehoboth beach on a date with a very cute football player. For a seven year old this was truly an exciting experience.

Bonnie has always been a role model for me. She was a woman who excelled in everything she did – whether it was in school, in her career, or most importantly in motherhood. When she learned her leukemia returned in June, she went into true Bonnie mode – being the ultimate planner. She was determined to make as many preparations for Mike and the girls as she possibly could given the circumstances.

Bonnie’s strength will continue to be a source of strength for all of us. She was always ready to fight, and do whatever it took, all with grace, dignity and humor. Her ability to put a smile on her face even during difficult times showed what an incredible and special woman Bonnie was.

I hope I will someday be as wonderful of a mother as Bonnie has been – I know I will especially miss her guidance and advice when I have children of my own. Bonnie’s spirit will live on through everyone who loves her – especially through Isabel & Devon. Her love will always be with us.

Bonnie –
thank you for being you, an inspiration, a friend, a mentor.

We had many talks about the future, and I promise that I will always love Isabel & Devon and be in their lives, help them celebrate the highs and be there for the lows.

I will always remind them of what an incredible mom they had, and as you specifically asked, I will help to make sure your girls are raised Jewishly and fashionably.

We love you, we miss you, we wish you peace.

Allison

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home