Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Eulogy by Cindy Lefkoff (friend of Bonnie)

Presented by Cindy on 8/11/07....

Bonnie was an incredible friend. I have known this since the day I met her in Lander, Wyoming as we set out on our month long NOLS course. We slept under the stars and camped all day, and by the end, I knew that she would forever be my friend. After all, I can guarantee you that we were the only two Jewish girls from the East Coast that were on that trip! I become Cindy Lou Hoo, and she became Bonnie Belle. To this day, Isabel and Devon, as well as many of Bonnnie’s friends actually think that Cindy Lou Hoo is my name!

It was 1995 when we went on this course, and in 1997, when she was a dear friend to me as I went through the illness and loss of my father. Then, in 1998, soon after Bonnie and Mike had married, Bonnie began hounding me to go out on a date. She had met a man in Colorado who said he would only get married if he found a Jewish girl who could ski and climb. Bonnie said, “I know one. She lives in Virginia.” After a great deal of protesting, I gave in and went on the date. As you all know, Bonnie was not one to take NO for an answer. Needless to say, Bonnie’s actions changed the course of my life. I am now happily married to Kyle and I have two sons. Bonnie is the godmother to my younger son, Asher. My boys will always know of Bonnie and what a wonderful friend she has been to me.

I want to share an email that Bonnie sent to some of her girlfriends at the beginning of the summer. When Bonnie found out that her Leukemia had returned, her girlfriends, whom I call the Goddesses of Burlingame, miraculously organized a 40th birthday party for Bonnie. They did this in three days, and it was an amazing event on the rooftop of the Four Seasons in Palo Alto. On the way home, Bonnie realized that she had forgotten one important thing that she had wanted to tell everyone. In true Bonnie fashion, as soon as she got home, she sat down to write a thank you to everyone, and this is part of that e-mail:

It occurred to me that my friendship with each of you, individually, is like a beautiful flower -- gorgeous, strong, full of life, "unique in all the world". And today I felt you all had gathered together in the most stunning bouquet. Thank you for sharing your beauty. All together. Eternal love and thanks, Bonnie

Bonnie brought out the best in all of us, and I know that I am a better person for having been lucky enough to have Bonnie as a part of my life. She will continue to be a part of my life, and I will keep her with me every day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home